Tuesday, April 12, 2011

...what am I going to do?!

So for some reason the past few weeks I've been constantly thinking about what I'm going to do once college is over.  Am I going to successfully become a Meteorologist... am I going to follow in my mothers steps and become a State Farm Agent... AM I EVEN going to find a job?!?! And then I went on, what about when I get a job... will I be equipped enough from what I learned in college to do my job?! What if I decide Meteorology is just not for me after I finish my degree... what do I do then!?
Well as you can see... I completely freaked out... haha... and that's when today I came across some great inspiration while I was reading in Mark.


In the first few chapters of Mark it talks about when Jesus went on the road to find his disciples.  Starting in Chapter 1 versus 16-20 and further it talks about when He calls those certain people to come follow Him...

Mark 1:16-20
16 As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 17 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 18 At once they left their nets and followed him.
 19 When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. 20 Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him. 

As you read that you may think... Katie what does that have to do with anything, but what it told me is that...
1. When those disciples left they had no idea what kind of job they were going to do... BUT  Jesus equipped them with the knowledge they needed.
2. OMGosh... they just dropped everything they did for someone they didn't even know (a stranger to them at the time). Someone they had JUST met.
3. They left their work. - HOW ARE THEY GOING TO GET MONEY?!
4. They left their home/ city! - where are they going to live?! 
5. They left their families in whom they've most likely have been with since the beginning of their life... and also... I believe most of the disciples would probably not see their families ever again because they died for what they believed in.

All these things took hold of me as I sat in starbucks this morning pondering over these things... these helpless disciples who knew nothing, who had nothing, and who were completely dependent on Jesus- that's just crazy to me... how could they just let go so easily... 
then I though about my situation again... okay... maybe I won't get a job... or something of that nature... but I need to learn to depend on God even for the small things, not just when times are hard and rough and terrible, but God is in all things and is working in all things.

I need to learn to be able to "leave at once" if told... and need to not depend on my dreams and wants, but to ask Him what He wants me to do and allow Him to completely lead me.

I want to be like these disciples and fully lean and listen to every Word that God is telling me... I only pray that I can do that... or at least depend on God to help me do that.
I hope that all of you have had a wonderful Tuesday and I hope that your Wednesday is even better! I hope this encouraged you as much as Mark 1 encouraged me. Love y'all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment